Does marriage grant Canadian citizenship?

Does marriage grant Canadian citizenship?

No, not at all. Marriage to a Canadian citizen does not confer citizenship. If you wish to become a citizen of Canada, you must go through the same procedures as everyone else. There is no separate procedure for spouses of Canadian citizens. You will be required to prove that you are eligible to live in Canada and that you intend to stay here permanently.

Spouses of Canadian citizens may apply for permanent residence permits. This allows your spouse to come to Canada and work here indefinitely. Your spouse would then need to meet some language proficiency requirements to be granted a permit. If your spouse is able to meet these requirements, they can apply for a permanent residence permit.

In order for your spouse to be granted a permit, they must submit an application with evidence of their relationship to the Canadian citizen and proof that they have been married for at least three months. The process takes about nine months from the time you file your application until you get your residency permit. During this time, your spouse cannot work legally in Canada and if they want to extend their stay, they will have to reapply for a permit. If your spouse is given permission to come to Canada and work here indefinitely, they will be considered an employee of the government and thus would not be allowed to receive any public assistance.

Canadian citizens who are married foreign nationals cannot apply for permanent residence permits.

Can I get PR if I marry a Canadian?

While a successful sponsorship case may permit this, becoming a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada does not occur automatically when you marry a Canadian citizen. After the sponsor has been authorized, the spouse can apply for permanent residency. The process involves providing evidence that they are financially stable and will be able to support their spouse if required to do so.

In addition, while a person is eligible to apply for a Canadian passport after only 5 years of living in Canada, they must also meet other requirements to be granted citizenship. These include learning the language, showing an interest in becoming more involved with Canadian society, and generally making yourself useful to Canadians in some way.

As well, even if your spouse gets citizenship, they can still lose their status if they break any of the rules governing who is allowed to enter Canada. Also, if your spouse is convicted of a criminal offense, they could be excluded from entering Canada for several years. However, there are ways around these restrictions; such as by applying for a spousal visa. Even though this type of visa requires a medical examination, it can still be done at no cost to the applicant.

Finally, even if all of your family members qualify to come to Canada, that doesn't necessarily mean that you will be issued a visa. In fact, Indian citizens are among those given the lowest priority for visas.

Does marrying a Canadian guarantee permanent residency?

You must still meet other requirements to be granted citizenship.

To be eligible for citizenship, you must fulfill some educational requirements and live in Canada for at least three years after your marriage certificate - or if you are a veteran, then five years instead. There is also a requirement that you renounce your previous nationality. If your spouse becomes a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada during the time you are waiting for your application to be processed, they can apply on your behalf with the Citizenship and Immigration Department (CID). The CID will accept affidavits as evidence of your marriage if there is no other proof of marriage available. Your spouse must submit an Application for Permanent Residence along with required documents. If your claim is accepted, you will receive notice in the mail about how to make an appointment with the CID to prove your identity and fill out your N-400 form. If your claim is rejected, you have the right to appeal the decision.

You must file your application with the CID within 10 years from the date of your marriage ceremony if you are seeking permanent residence status.

About Article Author

James Smith

James Smith has worked as a reporter for a large news network. He loves covering social issues, and believes that people need to be aware of the issues that are important to them, rather than the issues that are important to society as a whole.

Related posts