This medium-powered ship was built between 1863 and 1878 and is now known as the 1858 Navy. The 36-caliber cap-and-ball sixgun was popular with Union sailors and others who carried it. Its heavy barrel gave it great power for its size, and it was easy to load.
The Cimarron was a wooden gunboat used by the United States Navy from 1858 to 1865 and again from 1868 to 1873. Originally called the "Tishomingo," she was renamed after the Cimarron River in Louisiana. The boat was designed as a river vessel capable of operating in shallow waters, and thus did not require a pilot. She was fitted out at New York City's Eckford & Co. shipyard and then shipped down to Memphis, Tennessee, where she was assembled into full readiness for service.
On May 11, 1858, the Tishomingo was towed to Cairo, Illinois, where she joined the Mississippi Squadron under the command of Admiral David Farragut. The boat was assigned to patrol the upper Mississippi River and break up Native American raids on settlements along the border with Minnesota and Wisconsin. In August 1861, the Tishomingo helped defeat an attack by Native Americans at Island No. 10 near present-day St. Louis.
NAVY NUMBER 1851 The 1851 Navy was a.36 caliber scaled-up variant of the 1849 Pocket Model. The convenient, more powerful revolver quickly gained popularity among troops and civilians alike, and it was subsequently adopted by both the US and British militaries. At first, these guns were issued with six-shot cylinders, but later models came with only five chambers.
NAVY TYPE The 1851 Navy is classified as a "navy" or "special" gun because it was designed for use by naval officers on board ship. These special guns were produced from 1851 to 1853. After 1853, these roles were filled by the S&W 22 Navy which was also manufactured at the Southwark factory (although in smaller quantities).
CALIBRE OF THE 1851 NAVY A.36 caliber single-action, single-shot pistol. The 1851 Navy has 4.5 inches of barrel length. It weighs 12 ounces without ammunition.
MANUFACTURERS Southwark & Co. of Chicago. Only one manufacturer made these guns. Their name can be found stamped on the back of the cylinder latch.
PRICE $60 ($1050 in 2015 dollars)
BACKGROUND The U.S. Navy began using revolvers around 1850.
The majority were created in Belgium and sold to Brazil around the close of the nineteenth and beginning of the twentieth centuries. Rossi created this piece between 1952 and 1969. It features a 72mm barrel chambered for.22 LR ammunition. There was apparently a.320 black powder variant developed between 1950 and 1962. This gun is shown with its box here.
There are two varieties of revolvers produced by Rossi: those with fixed sights and those with folding sights. The one you see here has fixed sights. It can be identified by the fact that it has a solid frame instead of a skeletonized one, as on some other models. The hammer/trigger mechanism is also different. The model with folding sights had two levers on the side of the handle that folded down to act as triggers when needed.
Rossi built about 30 of these revolvers. They are accurate and very reliable guns that come with two years warranty from date of purchase. The price today on the internet market is about $500-600.
By the way, there was also a three-inch boresight rifle made by Rossi in 1956. This was actually an upgrade version of their original 1892 Brescia rifle that was used by the Brazilian Army until then. The new model was designed to comply with international standards at the time and was intended for sale abroad. Only five of these rifles were made.